What do you think happens when the soul of a clown and the soul of a poet live together in one human being? Do they live in harmony? Well, while they don’t necessarily fight each other, they wage their own internal wars in opposite corners.

Having that duality within one man, it is a double whammy, folks. Most people wear some sort of mask on a daily basis. That is why when someone asks us “how are you?”, we automatically come back with something like “Fine, and you?”. We don’t really want to share how we feel and we don’t want to know how the other person is doing. That’s OK, though, the person who asked us the question in the first place doesn’t really want to know either.

Well, imagine two masks on one man: words dripping with alcohol and tears buried in laughter. Here it is: the beast that is me.

In this blog, I will share thoughts on my life, on the movies I love, on the music I appreciate and on many other things. Some of it will be in English and some in French, all depending on how the thoughts organize themselves in my head at that specific moment. There will be a little bit of everything. My sense of humour might shock some, so let all of you be forewarned. This is my space and it will fit my reality. If you get offended easily, you might want to look elsewhere.

Having said all of this now, all that is left to do is to officially welcome you to the blog of the clowning poet. Hope you enjoy your visits into my universe.

lundi 9 mai 2011

My Top 5 Favourite Songs of All-Time (English)

Over the last few days, I have been listening to a lot of music and I figured it would be an interesting exercise for me to try to determine my Top 5 Favourite Songs of All-Time. Whenever that kind of survey is published in music magazines, I always take it with a grain of salt because the criteria used to determine the lists can vary enormously depending on so many factors. After all, musical tastes are so subjective.

As for this particular list, it is simply an indication of my tastes. Since this is my blog, that would make sense. As for the specific criteria used to determine my choices, I was looking for titles that have endured the test of time and that still stir up feelings inside me. So, here it is and, if you want to comment, don’t hesitate.

1- Hallelujah – Leonard Cohen: Those lyrics are simply perfect. The imagery, the infinite sadness, the loss of love and the haunting atmosphere of the whole thing, especially in Jeff Buckley’s rendition, gives me the chills every time and often brings a tear or two to my eyes.

2- Wish You Were Here – Pink Floyd: From the intro, with the great guitar playing, to the end, this song is simply amazing. I cannot listen to that it without singing out loud. They don’t make them like this anymore.

3- Working Class Hero – John Lennon: This song has been overshadowed in Lennon’s catalogue by the wonderful Imagine; yet, to me, this one has lot more substance to it. Maybe it is because I see a lot of myself in those lyrics, but it really strikes a chord with me.

4- Father and Son – Cat Stevens: The relationship between a father and his son has been the subject for many a work of art. This Cat Stevens song deals with this in such a beautiful way. This is a timeless song that will never get old.

5- Bohemian Rhapsody – Queen: This song is a work of art, pure and simple. So many layers, so much creativity, it defies all genre classification.

So, what are your thoughts folks? Agree, disagree? What would be your choices?

Aucun commentaire: