What do you think happens when the soul of a clown and the soul of a poet live together in one human being? Do they live in harmony? Well, while they don’t necessarily fight each other, they wage their own internal wars in opposite corners.

Having that duality within one man, it is a double whammy, folks. Most people wear some sort of mask on a daily basis. That is why when someone asks us “how are you?”, we automatically come back with something like “Fine, and you?”. We don’t really want to share how we feel and we don’t want to know how the other person is doing. That’s OK, though, the person who asked us the question in the first place doesn’t really want to know either.

Well, imagine two masks on one man: words dripping with alcohol and tears buried in laughter. Here it is: the beast that is me.

In this blog, I will share thoughts on my life, on the movies I love, on the music I appreciate and on many other things. Some of it will be in English and some in French, all depending on how the thoughts organize themselves in my head at that specific moment. There will be a little bit of everything. My sense of humour might shock some, so let all of you be forewarned. This is my space and it will fit my reality. If you get offended easily, you might want to look elsewhere.

Having said all of this now, all that is left to do is to officially welcome you to the blog of the clowning poet. Hope you enjoy your visits into my universe.

mardi 20 avril 2010

The crack of dawn

« I’m so horny, the crack of dawn better watch out » - Tom Waits

For those of you folks not familiar with SoftYesterday’s language (langue de MolleHier ;P), my last article was about the first time I met the woman who would one day become my wife. That was in April 1999, 11 years ago. A date that almost did not happen. Now, let’s take a look at my second date with Chantal.

After the first date, it was time for me to go back home. I was finished with university. I left Moncton and went back to Fredericton, to stay with my parents while I looked for a job. Chantal and I kept in touch through e-mail and phone. We were just friends at this point, not knowing where all of it would lead. We were going to let time do its handiwork.

Then, one day in May, an opportunity came to see each other again. A friend of mine was leaving the province to go to Australia for a while. He was living in Moncton. I was going to go party with him and some other friends. I would crash at his place. Chantal and I set up a date at the mall to spend some time together. I had no car, but a friend of mine would drop me in Moncton on his way to Nova Scotia. He would pick me up later that weekend on the way back. The night before we left Fredericton to go to Moncton, that friend crashed at my place and we got drunk.

So, the next morning, on a severe hangover, we left for Moncton. While waiting for Chantal at the mall, I got a Blizzard at DQ. I was hungry, yet nauseous. The ice cream seemed to do the trick to settle my stomach. I was still immature. I knew that women liked their men well hung, but I should have known at that point that hung over couldn’t be that good to make a good first impression. Yet, Chantal arrived and she didn’t seem to hold it against me. She even had a good laugh about it.

We saw a movie that day, “Never Been Kissed” with Drew Barrymore. But, what made that date so much more memorable for me was what Chantal was wearing that day. She had this tight fitting shirt with nice little blue shorts that clung beautifully to her lovely backside. At one point, we saw her parents in the food court and she bent down slightly to talk to them while I was behind her. I was trying to be as subtle as the letter “B” in the word “subtle” while I took a peak. She had been just a friend so far, but the attraction was definitely there for me now. Don’t get me wrong, I would discover plenty of other qualities in her as we got to know each other better, but the initial attraction is certainly important. As I glanced sideways at her beautiful shapes, I told myself that, if I could spend my life looking at that lovely plump cushion, I would have it made. I now had to find a way to win her affection. I had to take a crack at it. ;) In the end, I wedged myself into...her heart. Though, based on the short and quick hug I got as we left each other later that day, I thought I didn’t stand a chance. Fortunately, I was wrong.

I should also add that I still feel the same about her lower hemisphere. Hey, for that matter, I still love the whole package 11 years later. I could even say that I love her more today, because, in the years that followed, I found in Chantal a lover, a cosmic mate, a soul mate, a friend, the love of my life. ..and the butt of my jokes when I am in a teasing mood.

4 commentaires:

Unknown a dit…

J'ai réussi à déchiffrer et époussiérer mon english!!!!
Mais c'est donc ben beau!!!!!!
J'aime ça les premières rencontres, le premier baiser! Vas-tu nous le raconter????
Ouais, je sais que c'est personnel....
Et ta façon de le raconter, drôle et émouvant en même temps!
(soupirs.......)
Ça me rappelle ma première rencontre avec mon homme....
Bisous à tous les deux,tiens!

Marc a dit…

Pour ce qui est du premier baiser, ça reste à voir. Faut se garder tout de même un petit jardin secret. Merci pour les bons mots :)

Nancy a dit…

J'adore lire cette histoire :)

Marc a dit…

Merci :)