What do you think happens when the soul of a clown and the soul of a poet live together in one human being? Do they live in harmony? Well, while they don’t necessarily fight each other, they wage their own internal wars in opposite corners.

Having that duality within one man, it is a double whammy, folks. Most people wear some sort of mask on a daily basis. That is why when someone asks us “how are you?”, we automatically come back with something like “Fine, and you?”. We don’t really want to share how we feel and we don’t want to know how the other person is doing. That’s OK, though, the person who asked us the question in the first place doesn’t really want to know either.

Well, imagine two masks on one man: words dripping with alcohol and tears buried in laughter. Here it is: the beast that is me.

In this blog, I will share thoughts on my life, on the movies I love, on the music I appreciate and on many other things. Some of it will be in English and some in French, all depending on how the thoughts organize themselves in my head at that specific moment. There will be a little bit of everything. My sense of humour might shock some, so let all of you be forewarned. This is my space and it will fit my reality. If you get offended easily, you might want to look elsewhere.

Having said all of this now, all that is left to do is to officially welcome you to the blog of the clowning poet. Hope you enjoy your visits into my universe.

vendredi 23 avril 2010

Fat guy in a little coat


Over twelve years ago, funny man Chris Farley was found dead and alone in his Chicago apartment. After years of abuse on his own body, his heart had given out on him and we were left with memories of how hilarious he could be. He gave everything of himself everytime he came out in public. His death really struck a chord with me, since I could see a little of myself in him. Around that time, I wrote a poem as a tribute to him, one of my idols.

Today, as I rapidly approach the 33rd year of my life, I have a better understanding of what he must have been going through. You live and you learn. I recently came upon that old poem in my things. So, with a new perspective, I decided to rewrite it. Here it goes:

Fat guy in a little coat (Song for Farley)

Crack a smile, fall on my face
You laugh all your worries away
Deform my awful truth
Lift up my heavy boots

Behind my cracking mask
Trails of tears in the night
Outside these walls
I only aim to please

Fat guy in a little coat
A prisoner still under oath
Live fast and die young
Push until it all comes undone
Fat clown with a big heart
Over the frown, I play a part
Keep on sweating my makeup
Until my time is finally up

My body, a broken temple
Prayers are all in vain
Words dripping with alcohol
Tears buried in laughter

Now that all the people have gone
My heart, like my body, is hard to carry
I will leave, all alone
Once the laughter is gone

2 commentaires:

Pierre Plamondon a dit…

"And rest in peace forever
In a van down by the river"

(Désolé, pas pu m'en empêcher) ;)

Super ton poême Marc.

Marc a dit…

hahaha C'est bien pensé. Merci pour le compliment :)